Thorium Energy Conference - ThEC13
The next Thorium Energy Conference - ThEC13 in Geneva - will be held at CERN from October 27 to 31, 2013 in the Globe of Science and Innovation.
It will be organized in partnership with the newly founded international Thorium Energy Committee (iThEC).
Our local partner iThEC (international Thorium Energy Committee), which constitutes of various Geneva personalities of whom many are closely related to CERN, will ensure the conference is a success through their local and international experience.
The purpose of ThEC13 is to review the status of thorium energy technologies, from R&D to industrial developments. It will cover front-end and back-end of the thorium fuel cycle, the use of thorium in critical reactors and in Accelerator Driven Systems (ADS), with particular emphasis on accelerator developments and the destruction of nuclear waste.
Following the success of the previous ThEC10 (UK), ThEC11 (USA) and ThEC12 (China), iThEC will use the opportunity and bring together regional actors in the development of thorium energy systems in order to obtain an overview of the activities and promote cooperation.
Sunday October 27, 17:00
Reception and conference check-in material
Monday October 28, 8:30
Opening ceremony in the CERN Globe and conference photo
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday morning
Tuesday October 29, 19:30
Wednesday October 30 afternoon
Visit of CERN facilities. This will be a unique opportunity to visit one of the LHC experimental underground caverns, as the LHC will be in shutdown mode. The visit will also include the LHC magnet test facility known as SM18. Early registration for the visit is recommended.
Thursday October 31, morning
Round table discussion and conclusions of the conference
– National and international cooperative programs on thorium technologies
– New conceptual aspects of thorium energy systems (Cooling, moderation, blanket, containment, safety, etc.)
– Thorium properties and resources
– Thorium fuel manufacturing
– Back-end of the thorium fuel cycle, fuel recovery and recycling
– Thorium utilization in critical reactors, neutronic aspects
– Thorium utilization in accelerator driven systems (ADS)
– Thorium and the elimination of nuclear waste
– Safety, proliferation and regulatory issues
Follow the steps below to secure your place:
1. First you register here for your External Account (for non-CERN registered).
2. In your email you will receive a password.
3. Login to the Registration Form using your password.
4. In your confirmation email you will receive a “conference identification number”.
5. Use your “Conference identification number” when you pay the conference fee to:
Bank Transfer details:
BCGE c/c Entreprises
Reference: Conf. ThEC 13
N IBAN : CH2400788000050366478
N BIC/SWIFT : BCGECHGGXXX
Clearing/CB : 788
6. Your registration will be validated as soon as the bank transfer is registered.
– For registration prior to August 31, 2013: CHF 600, including reception, the banquet, lunches, coffee breaks, and the CERN facility visit.
– For registration after August 31, 2013: CHF 800.
– If you are accompanied for the banquet, please add CHF 250 to the conference fees when making your payment
A pre-conference cocktail party will be held on Sunday October 27, from 17:00 to 20:00 (location to be announced soon).
It is strongly adviced for all participants to attend and collect the check-in material there in order to avoid Monday registration queuing.
The check-in material will include a pass which will be mandatory in order to be allowed into the Globe of Science and Innovation at CERN.
International Scientific Advisory Committee - ISAC
The complete list of ISAC members (no particular order) as of today is:
Ulrich Becker - MIT - USA
Hans Blix - Ex director of IAEA - Sweden
Robert Cywinski – Uni. of Huddersfield - England
Hesheng Chen - CAS - China
Bruno Coppi - MIT - USA
Sylvain David - CNRS/IPNO - France
Roland Garoby - CERN - Switzerland
Waclaw Gudowski - KTH - Sweden
Stuart Henderson - Fermilab - USA
Victor Ignatiev - Kurtchatov Institute - Russia
Yacine Kadi - iThEC - Switzerland
Wolfgang Kröger- ETH - Switzerland
Egil Lillestol - iThEC - Switzerland
Mats Lindroos - ESS - Sweden
Alex C. Muller - CNRS IN2P3 - France
Ganapati Myneni - Jefferson Lab. - USA
Baldev Raj - PSG - India
Jean-Pierre Revol - iThEC - Switzerland
Carlo Rubbia - CERN - Switzerland
Toshinobu Sasa - JAEA - Japan
Mike Seidel - PSI - Switzerland
Richard Sheffield - LANL - USA
Alexander Stanculecu - Idaho National Lab. - USA
We are pleased to have such an experienced, well-connected and diverse advisory committee to make ThEC13 in Geneva a must attend event.
Display you work prominently at the conference with a poster. Posters related to the above subjects may be displayed during the conference. Proposals for posters with a summary of the content and format should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please not that there will not be a poster session during the conference.
Poster dimensions are H x W = 192cm x 120 cm
Readers of this announcement are encouraged to propose topics and speakers. Such proposals will be considered when deciding on the conference programme.
Please send your proposal to ThEC13@itheo.org
Further information will be made available soon here or at the CERN ThEC13 page.
We look forward to welcoming you to ThEC13 in Geneva!
CERN - the European Organization for Nuclear Research
The following conferences have been held:
2010 – ThEC10 in London
2011 – ThEC11 in New York
2012 – ThEC12 in Shanghai